0

Gunung Jerai, January 6th


Took a day hike trip with Lynn's hiking group, O2P. Kenneth, Zhi Feng and I tagged along. It was a long hike up to Gunung Jerai, I was told before the trip. I had pre-hike jitters since I am not particularly a strong hiker. I also know that some hikers take hikes at a punishing pace. I am a slow and steady hiker.

Group photo before the hike



The morning started bad. Due to last minute packing the night before, I sorta overslept and rush through getting ready. Arrived at Lynn's house on the dot at 6am. Thankfully, I still beat Kenneth getting there :p. Breakfast was at some dim sum place in Bagan. With so-so dim sum. Believe it or not, Hong Kong aside, the best place I have had dim sum outside of SEA is Vancouver, BC in Canada!



I was very nervous. I have never hiked with this group before. I know Lynn is the super hiker. So she would be chugging up the hill. Kenneth and Feng were also above average hikers and are fit.



Pre-hike warning was that the mountain was infested with leeches. Blek! I had nightmares with those for 5 days in Tahan. But this time I came prepared with waterproof pants and KL bought us leech socks. Cool!



Uncle Yong and Ah Tut led the hike. Even at the start of the hike I can see tons of leeches trying to may their way up my leech socks. Ack! I stomped at them, I yanked them away, Kenneth burnt them. The hiking trail was rolling hills. With a few very steep sections. All in all the pace was good. My load was only about 6kgs, definitely no where near Lynn's 14kg pack. Stopped for lunch at the false peak. Stopped for lunch at the false peak. It took us about 6 hours to get to the peak. Stopped by a super small waterfall to wash up. I didn't like the waterfall as it was surrounded by rocks and there was no place to stand or plunk my ass.



The best thing about this hike... no hiking down! We met with our van at the resort located near the peak.


Something interesting happened on the hike. Someone hiking ahead of Lynn and me must have disturbed a wasps nest. Because those vicious things came right at us! Very aggressive. I got stung on my finger and ear. Lynn got one on her palm. Feng got four stings! On his face, arms and body. Kenneth got one on the back of his head. It was really painful! I actually had the stinger stuck to both my stings.

0 comments: