1

Day 5... Beer and the Maniacs...

I hooked up with John Lee (Asian John) who gave me info about my ex-dragonboat team's practise day and time. So I turned up at the docks to surprise them as they came back in. Annie was the first to spot me and her face crinkled a little as she said aloud, "Is that who I think it is?". And before you know it I was being greeted in chorus by the Anniemaniacs (http://www.anniemaniacs.com/) , the dragonboat team who made me a real paddler.

Secretly I planned which Asian John to invite them out for food and drinks after practise so we could go out and enjoy. So after they pulled up and we have exchanged hugs and pleasantries, we headed off the our regular happy hour place, Stanfords where after 9pm you can get really really cheap food with a purchase of ANY drink. Is that a deal or what? Despite knowing American portions, I was too greedy and ordered a plate of chicken strips with fries and fried calamari with basil aoili. Which of course was enough to feed a whole Asian family. Together with it I had two microbrews, a Mirror Pond Pale Ale and a Widmer Brother's Hefweizen. Both are locally brewed beers. Oregon is THE home to microbreweries and I am going to eat, drink and run my heart out here.

Stanford's Happy Hour menu

The chicken strips and fries with honey mustard and BBQ sauce

My friend, Brett's cheeseburger and chicken strips!

Deep fried calamari with basil aoili
-Chin-

1 comments:

LG said...

Yummmy Food...Can't wait to indulge myself with the similar food after the run tomorrow...